MOTOR VEHICLE DEPARTMENT
The Custer County Motor Vehicle Department is responsible for vehicle registration, titling and issuing license plates. A form of identification may also be required if a title or duplicate title is to be printed in the office.
Fees are required at time of registration of any vehicle. Fees are based on several factors, such as: type of plate requested, date of purchase, weight of vehicle, year of vehicle, manufacturers suggested retail price or taxable value of vehicle.
Proof of Insurance is required at the time of registering a vehicle. In 1998, HB1213 was enacted. This law which was effective July 1999, request that the County Clerk and Recorder's Office deny vehicle registration if proof of insurance is not provided. This law was enacted to ensure that Colorado motorists comply with the mandatory auto insurance laws. The intent of the law is to reduce the rising number of uninsured drivers and vehicles in Colorado. Accepted forms of proof of insurance are:
- A letter from your insurance agent or insurer on company letterhead verifying insurance coverage.
- The declaration page from the insurance policy.
- An insurance binder or policy.
- An insurance card for your vehicle.
Any of the above forms of proof of insurance must include:
- The effective dates of coverage.
- The vehicle identification number.
- The make and year of the vehicle.
- The date of expiration.
Proof of insurance is also required on a temporary permit.
Effective July 1, 2006, Secure and Verifiable Identification is required for most motor vehicle transaction. The following types of identification are considered secure and verifiable:
- Any Colorado driver license, Colorado driver permit or Colorado identification card expired one year or less. (Temporary paper license with invalid Colorado driver's license, Colorado driver's permit or Colorado identification card, expired one year or less, is acceptable.)
- Out of state issued photo driver's license, photo identification card or photo driver's permit expired one year of less.
- U.S. Passport expired less than ten years.
- Valid foreign passport with I-94 or valid processed for I551 stamps.
- Valid I551 Resident Alien/Permanent Resident Card. No border crosser or USA B1/B2 Visa/BCC cards.
- Valid 1688 Temporary Resident, I688B and I766 Employment Authorization Card with intact photo.
- Valid U.S. Military I.D. (active duty, dependent, retired, Reserve and National Guard).
- Tribal Identification Card with intact photo (U.S. or Canadian).
- Certificate of naturalization with intact photo.
- Certificate of U.S. Citizenship with intact photo.
Sales tax is based on the purchase price of a vehicle and the owner's resident address that is used on the title assignment or title work done by the dealership. All residents of Custer County will pay 2.9% state sales tax on the purchase price of the vehicle along with a 2% county use tax. If you live in the city limits of Silver Cliff, you will pay an additional 2% use tax. If both the buyer and seller live within the city limits of Westcliffe a 2% city sales tax will also be due.
We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. Our office also accepts personal checks.
|No Motor Vehicle Transactions after 3:45PM|